It is our intention at Fishponds Church of England Academy to provide pupils with a high-quality education in English that will teach pupils to speak, read and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others effectively.
Through our phonics curriculum we intend to:
- Ensure pupils know all phonemes by the end of Year 1.
- Ensure children know the alphabetic code - the relationship between the sounds that can be identified in speech (phonemes) and the letters used to represent them in writing (graphemes).
- Ensure pupils are able to blend adjacent consonants.
- Ensure pupils can segment words by identifying each individual phoneme within the word.
- Ensure pupils can orally blend individual sounds together to form a word.
- Ensure pupils develop prosody - the rhythmic and intonational aspect of speech that manifests as expressive reading. It comprises timing, phrasing and intonation, and helps to convey meaning and add ‘life’ to reading.
- Ensure pupils develop fluency - the ability to read accurately with speed and expression.